Friday, April 6, 2012

Artist or Art Teacher? That is the question.

Ever since I was a kid I just knew I wanted to be an artist. I just wasn’t sure if I would rather be one myself or bring out the creativity of others through teaching.
You all know that the path I chose was to become an illustrator myself. I wouldn’t trade my career as an illustrator for any other. I truly love what I do. It’s just that things are
always changing and the feast or famine conditions that we artist face can be challenging.
This brings me to what I’m excited to blog about. I’m teaching after school Art Enrichment Classes now and loving every minute of it. Twice a week I‘m working with some amazing talented kids at the same grade school my children attended. I’m so blessed to be able to now enjoy the best of both worlds, teaching and creating. At the same time, these wonderfully creative kids truly inspire me in my own work.
I’m having so much fun that I decided to share some of the fun projects with you. You could try some of these yourself or share them with your kids. There wasn’t a day that went by in the Wenke house, when my kids were little, where there wasn’t some creative project happening. There was a lot of bonding time going on while we created art together. Now that my kids are older, I really miss that.
Here are the beautiful woven duct tape purses that some of the girls made. Aren’t the color combinations and the patterns they have chosen fabulous? I posted them on the Duct Bran website. I am sooo proud of them:) The bags are made of strips of tape backed with felt and woven together. Then you add a strap and attach with heavy duty snaps. It’s really very, very, easy and very, very, fun! I’m told the girls are toting them wherever they go. I’ve done a few duct tape classes for adults as well. Duct tape is just fun for all ages. Don’t you think?

xxxTina

1 comment:

  1. I don't know duct tape but it looks like you can have a lot of fun with it :) Great that you are teaching now, too.

    Hugs
    Jay Jay

    ReplyDelete